Thursday, July 25, 2013

Dear Grandpa

Grandpa holding Eloise, March 2006

Dear Grandpa,


I am really not ready to say good-bye to you.  I will always need to have you in my life. From my earliest memory, you were there: my warm, loving, strong grandpa.  

My favourite thing always was coming to visit you and Grandma. The house you built for your family was a place of sublime happiness for me, whether I was running around in the big yard with my brother and cousins, or racing downstairs on Christmas Day to see the beautiful tree and find what goodies had been set out in fancy dishes.  I have endless happy memories of my grandparents' house. Thank you Grandpa, for giving these to me.  

As I grew older, we grew even closer. When we lost Grandma, we all needed each other that much more. And as I became an adult, your care and affection for me never waned.  I made some silly choices at times, but your love was always there supporting me. Quietly and with few words, you taught me a lot. You showed me how a man should love his wife, how a man should take care of his family and how a man should hold steadfastly on to his faith.  

When I started my own family, you embraced my husband and delighted in my children.  Still, you never failed to be there for us - like a father, a father of fathers, a truly great grandfather.  

I'm not ready to say good-bye to you Grandpa, so if you don't mind, I'm not going to. You will continue to be a very special part of my life and I know you will continue to keep a watch over all of us.

~ Your loving granddaughter.


Maurice John Publuske
1932 - 2013

May His Memory Be Eternal!




8 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Jodie. May his memory be eternal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memory Eternal!! Your grandpa sounds like a really lovely and wonderful man! I am sorry for your family's loss <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memory Eternal! What a wonderful Grandfather you have been given! Memory Eternal, Memory Eternal, Memory Eternal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very sorry for your loss. I know you've had a couple in recent times.

    He was a fine looking gentleman, that grandfather of yours. That's an especially nice picture too, and you pay him a fitting tribute with your words as well.

    Αιωνία η μνήμη.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Memory Eternal! What a beautiful tribute...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Memory Eternal! Our familes are always with us...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Memory Eternal. Your post made me cry and think of my Yiayia. Hang in there. You are in my prayers. Grief is hard.

    ReplyDelete