Monday, July 1, 2013

Orthodox Christian Modesty II

Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.
1 Corinthians 6: 18-20
I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.
2 Timothy 2: 9-10
I know, I sound like I'm harping on modesty. Forgive me for posting about this again. I just came across two things, a podcast and a video, which really hit home the need for modesty among Christians and I wanted to share them.

The podcast is by Fr Thomas Hopko. It mainly addresses Orthodox Christian priestly vestments, but he spends some time near the end to discuss the importance of how every person "vests" themselves when coming to worship God, and touches on the great importance of modesty.

Finally, I am including a video that has made its rounds on the internet lately. It is quite interesting because it contrasts modesty and immodesty with feminine power, or lack thereof.

I hope it is food for thought. It certainly was for me.

Vesting For Liturgy Part 2 - Worship in Spirit and Truth - Ancient Faith Radio

1 comment:

  1. This discussion has been reminding me also of the language of our cultures. Sure, when I was a boy, we cussed, and we thought we were funny or mature when we did it, but we didn't do it in front of adults or otherwise conspicuously--it was called "locker-room talk" for a reason. The language I hear from young fellow-believers seems another symptom of a deeper immodesty. The Apostle Paul, in all his talk about braided hair and what-have-you, is, after all, talking generally about how we present ourselves.

    It's funny. A number of the men I work with in my legal practice come through a Christian shelter for men at their ropes' ends. Many of them have extensive violent, drug-abusing, and otherwise criminal backgrounds. You know foul language and casual dress are but part of the ordinary course for these men, and yet, getting their lives together through the program at this religious homeless shelter, they become the cleanest talking dudes you could ever hope to meet. Very respectful fellows, those fellows, and it's all part of what they do to turn their discombobulated lives onto a better path.

    ReplyDelete